Friday, March 30, 2012

Taking a Trip to the High School!

So at 10:50 this morning we get an announcement over the loud speaker that we are being evacuated to the high school due to a water main break on our street! How exciting. My class was in music and I was in a panic pulling things together to entertain them for the rest of the day. I had no chance to make copies so I had to think on my feet fast; and honestly, I was not prepared for this. I quickly put a bag together and got my class. Without panicking I made the day fun. I got them excited to get to go on a school bus and many children knew they had a sibling over there. When we got to the high school we were all filed into the auditorium and for most of the time they were excited to feel like they were "in the movies". In my bag I brought plain paper, crayons, books, and puzzles. I even shared some of my supplies with other teachers. After experiencing this emergency evacuation for the first time, I thought that I should definitely have a bag on hand for situations like this. Here is what I have in my bag:



  • Class list (make sure to take multiple headcounts throughout the day)
  • Emergency phone numbers
  • Tissues
  • Bandaids
  • Puzzles (in gallon sized zip-loc bags so that it makes for easy clean up)
  • Crayon boxes
  • Plain paper
  • Coloring pages
  • 3 letter word puzzle cards (School Zone)
  • 5-10 books
Although these situations are not desirable by any means, I'm so glad to have experienced it so that I can plan for next time. Now I definitely feel prepared for any emergency situation that may show up again!

No comments:

Post a Comment